Using streams for a null-safe conversion from an array to listConverting Array to ListCreate ArrayList from arrayHow to simplify a null-safe compareTo() implementation?Converting array to list in JavaConvert list to array in JavaRetrieving a List from a java.util.stream.Stream in Java 8How to Convert a Java 8 Stream to an Array?Java 8 Stream and operation on arraysHow can I create a stream from an array?How to sum a list of integers with java streams?Java 8 stream - how to properly make NPE-safe stream

Is there a reason to prefer HFS+ over APFS for disk images in High Sierra and/or Mojave?

Should I warn new/prospective PhD Student that supervisor is terrible?

When and why was runway 07/25 at Kai Tak removed?

Why can't the Brexit deadlock in the UK parliament be solved with a plurality vote?

How can I, as DM, avoid the Conga Line of Death occurring when implementing some form of flanking rule?

Why do Radio Buttons not fill the entire outer circle?

Grepping string, but include all non-blank lines following each grep match

Difference between shutdown options

Has the laser at Magurele, Romania reached a tenth of the Sun's power?

Limit max CPU usage SQL SERVER with WSRM

Can you identify this lizard-like creature I observed in the UK?

Can I cause damage to electrical appliances by unplugging them when they are turned on?

What is this high flying aircraft over Pennsylvania?

Typing CO_2 easily

What should be the ideal length of sentences in a blog post for ease of reading?

Echo with obfuscation

How to leave product feedback on macOS?

Giving feedback to someone without sounding prejudiced

Isometric embedding of a genus g surface

Showing mass murder in a kid's book

Do people actually use the word "kaputt" in conversation?

How do I Interface a PS/2 Keyboard without Modern Techniques?

How do I prevent inappropriate ads from appearing in my game?

What the heck is gets(stdin) on site coderbyte?



Using streams for a null-safe conversion from an array to list


Converting Array to ListCreate ArrayList from arrayHow to simplify a null-safe compareTo() implementation?Converting array to list in JavaConvert list to array in JavaRetrieving a List from a java.util.stream.Stream in Java 8How to Convert a Java 8 Stream to an Array?Java 8 Stream and operation on arraysHow can I create a stream from an array?How to sum a list of integers with java streams?Java 8 stream - how to properly make NPE-safe stream













8















I'm looking for a succinct way to rewrite a piece of Java code so that it uses streams to convert an array to a list in a null-safe fashion. Here's the original code:



public MailObject toMailObject(final String[] ccAddresses) 
final MailObject mailObject = new MailObject();

// line of code to be altered
mailObject.setCcAddresses(ccAddresses == null
? Collections.emptyList() : Arrays.asList(ccAddresses));

// other necessary code

return mailObject;



I've thought of doing something like this:



// psuedocode that obviously doesn't compile
Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses).SOMETHING.orElse(Collections.emptyList());


where SOMETHING would be along the lines of:



Arrays.stream(ints).collect(Collectors.toList());


but I can't seem to get the syntax quite right.



This question was helpful but didn't exactly address my issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm close...



Thank you very much for your time.










share|improve this question



















  • 3





    Your original code seems succinct enough

    – GBlodgett
    4 hours ago











  • Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

    – risingTide
    4 hours ago






  • 1





    .map(Arrays::asList)

    – shmosel
    4 hours ago















8















I'm looking for a succinct way to rewrite a piece of Java code so that it uses streams to convert an array to a list in a null-safe fashion. Here's the original code:



public MailObject toMailObject(final String[] ccAddresses) 
final MailObject mailObject = new MailObject();

// line of code to be altered
mailObject.setCcAddresses(ccAddresses == null
? Collections.emptyList() : Arrays.asList(ccAddresses));

// other necessary code

return mailObject;



I've thought of doing something like this:



// psuedocode that obviously doesn't compile
Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses).SOMETHING.orElse(Collections.emptyList());


where SOMETHING would be along the lines of:



Arrays.stream(ints).collect(Collectors.toList());


but I can't seem to get the syntax quite right.



This question was helpful but didn't exactly address my issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm close...



Thank you very much for your time.










share|improve this question



















  • 3





    Your original code seems succinct enough

    – GBlodgett
    4 hours ago











  • Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

    – risingTide
    4 hours ago






  • 1





    .map(Arrays::asList)

    – shmosel
    4 hours ago













8












8








8


1






I'm looking for a succinct way to rewrite a piece of Java code so that it uses streams to convert an array to a list in a null-safe fashion. Here's the original code:



public MailObject toMailObject(final String[] ccAddresses) 
final MailObject mailObject = new MailObject();

// line of code to be altered
mailObject.setCcAddresses(ccAddresses == null
? Collections.emptyList() : Arrays.asList(ccAddresses));

// other necessary code

return mailObject;



I've thought of doing something like this:



// psuedocode that obviously doesn't compile
Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses).SOMETHING.orElse(Collections.emptyList());


where SOMETHING would be along the lines of:



Arrays.stream(ints).collect(Collectors.toList());


but I can't seem to get the syntax quite right.



This question was helpful but didn't exactly address my issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm close...



Thank you very much for your time.










share|improve this question
















I'm looking for a succinct way to rewrite a piece of Java code so that it uses streams to convert an array to a list in a null-safe fashion. Here's the original code:



public MailObject toMailObject(final String[] ccAddresses) 
final MailObject mailObject = new MailObject();

// line of code to be altered
mailObject.setCcAddresses(ccAddresses == null
? Collections.emptyList() : Arrays.asList(ccAddresses));

// other necessary code

return mailObject;



I've thought of doing something like this:



// psuedocode that obviously doesn't compile
Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses).SOMETHING.orElse(Collections.emptyList());


where SOMETHING would be along the lines of:



Arrays.stream(ints).collect(Collectors.toList());


but I can't seem to get the syntax quite right.



This question was helpful but didn't exactly address my issue. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I feel like I'm close...



Thank you very much for your time.







java java-stream






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 3 hours ago







risingTide

















asked 4 hours ago









risingTiderisingTide

60841238




60841238







  • 3





    Your original code seems succinct enough

    – GBlodgett
    4 hours ago











  • Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

    – risingTide
    4 hours ago






  • 1





    .map(Arrays::asList)

    – shmosel
    4 hours ago












  • 3





    Your original code seems succinct enough

    – GBlodgett
    4 hours ago











  • Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

    – risingTide
    4 hours ago






  • 1





    .map(Arrays::asList)

    – shmosel
    4 hours ago







3




3





Your original code seems succinct enough

– GBlodgett
4 hours ago





Your original code seems succinct enough

– GBlodgett
4 hours ago













Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

– risingTide
4 hours ago





Fair enough, but I'm curious as to the best way it can be done using streams.

– risingTide
4 hours ago




1




1





.map(Arrays::asList)

– shmosel
4 hours ago





.map(Arrays::asList)

– shmosel
4 hours ago












2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















6














You might use the map :



List<String> ccAddrs = Optional.ofNullable(ccAddress)
.map(Arrays::asList)
.orElse(Collections.emptyList())





share|improve this answer


















  • 2





    @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

    – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
    4 hours ago











  • They don't . Because they are random clickers

    – soorapadman
    2 hours ago


















4














In my opinion, the code that you have so far is perfectly readable. I think using a Stream for something like this will just complicate things. If you still want to use a Stream, then something like the following would work:



mailObject.setCcAddresses(Stream.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
.flatMap(Arrays::stream)
.collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()));


As you can see, this is a more unreadable, and I wouldn't recommend it over your simple ternary expression.




Your Optional solution is slightly more readable and would look like the following:



mailObject.setCcAddresses(Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
.map(Arrays::asList)
.orElse(Collections.emptyList()));





share|improve this answer
























    Your Answer






    StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
    StackExchange.snippets.init();
    );
    );
    , "code-snippets");

    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "1"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













    draft saved

    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55272522%2fusing-streams-for-a-null-safe-conversion-from-an-array-to-list%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown

























    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes








    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    6














    You might use the map :



    List<String> ccAddrs = Optional.ofNullable(ccAddress)
    .map(Arrays::asList)
    .orElse(Collections.emptyList())





    share|improve this answer


















    • 2





      @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

      – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
      4 hours ago











    • They don't . Because they are random clickers

      – soorapadman
      2 hours ago















    6














    You might use the map :



    List<String> ccAddrs = Optional.ofNullable(ccAddress)
    .map(Arrays::asList)
    .orElse(Collections.emptyList())





    share|improve this answer


















    • 2





      @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

      – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
      4 hours ago











    • They don't . Because they are random clickers

      – soorapadman
      2 hours ago













    6












    6








    6







    You might use the map :



    List<String> ccAddrs = Optional.ofNullable(ccAddress)
    .map(Arrays::asList)
    .orElse(Collections.emptyList())





    share|improve this answer













    You might use the map :



    List<String> ccAddrs = Optional.ofNullable(ccAddress)
    .map(Arrays::asList)
    .orElse(Collections.emptyList())






    share|improve this answer












    share|improve this answer



    share|improve this answer










    answered 4 hours ago









    Mạnh Quyết NguyễnMạnh Quyết Nguyễn

    11k1930




    11k1930







    • 2





      @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

      – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
      4 hours ago











    • They don't . Because they are random clickers

      – soorapadman
      2 hours ago












    • 2





      @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

      – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
      4 hours ago











    • They don't . Because they are random clickers

      – soorapadman
      2 hours ago







    2




    2





    @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

    – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
    4 hours ago





    @downvoter: Should let me know the reason :)

    – Mạnh Quyết Nguyễn
    4 hours ago













    They don't . Because they are random clickers

    – soorapadman
    2 hours ago





    They don't . Because they are random clickers

    – soorapadman
    2 hours ago













    4














    In my opinion, the code that you have so far is perfectly readable. I think using a Stream for something like this will just complicate things. If you still want to use a Stream, then something like the following would work:



    mailObject.setCcAddresses(Stream.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
    .flatMap(Arrays::stream)
    .collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()));


    As you can see, this is a more unreadable, and I wouldn't recommend it over your simple ternary expression.




    Your Optional solution is slightly more readable and would look like the following:



    mailObject.setCcAddresses(Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
    .map(Arrays::asList)
    .orElse(Collections.emptyList()));





    share|improve this answer





























      4














      In my opinion, the code that you have so far is perfectly readable. I think using a Stream for something like this will just complicate things. If you still want to use a Stream, then something like the following would work:



      mailObject.setCcAddresses(Stream.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
      .flatMap(Arrays::stream)
      .collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()));


      As you can see, this is a more unreadable, and I wouldn't recommend it over your simple ternary expression.




      Your Optional solution is slightly more readable and would look like the following:



      mailObject.setCcAddresses(Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
      .map(Arrays::asList)
      .orElse(Collections.emptyList()));





      share|improve this answer



























        4












        4








        4







        In my opinion, the code that you have so far is perfectly readable. I think using a Stream for something like this will just complicate things. If you still want to use a Stream, then something like the following would work:



        mailObject.setCcAddresses(Stream.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
        .flatMap(Arrays::stream)
        .collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()));


        As you can see, this is a more unreadable, and I wouldn't recommend it over your simple ternary expression.




        Your Optional solution is slightly more readable and would look like the following:



        mailObject.setCcAddresses(Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
        .map(Arrays::asList)
        .orElse(Collections.emptyList()));





        share|improve this answer















        In my opinion, the code that you have so far is perfectly readable. I think using a Stream for something like this will just complicate things. If you still want to use a Stream, then something like the following would work:



        mailObject.setCcAddresses(Stream.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
        .flatMap(Arrays::stream)
        .collect(Collectors.toUnmodifiableList()));


        As you can see, this is a more unreadable, and I wouldn't recommend it over your simple ternary expression.




        Your Optional solution is slightly more readable and would look like the following:



        mailObject.setCcAddresses(Optional.ofNullable(ccAddresses)
        .map(Arrays::asList)
        .orElse(Collections.emptyList()));






        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited 4 hours ago

























        answered 4 hours ago









        Jacob G.Jacob G.

        16.3k52363




        16.3k52363



























            draft saved

            draft discarded
















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid …


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fstackoverflow.com%2fquestions%2f55272522%2fusing-streams-for-a-null-safe-conversion-from-an-array-to-list%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown







            Popular posts from this blog

            瀋陽號驅逐艦 目录 接收與服役 配置反潛直升機 武進三型性能升級 歷史 除役 參考資料 外部連結 导航菜单Taiwan Air Power海疆老兵-陽字號驅逐艦沿革World Navies Today: Taiwan (Republic of China)DD-839 USS POWER编

            波兰旗帜列表 目录 国旗 军旗 其他制服部门旗帜 特别国家机构船只 参考文献 外部链接 导航菜单Polskie flagi, chorągwie, bandery... [波兰旗帜、条幅、船旗等]原始内容Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowychZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 14 grudnia 2005 r. zmieniające zarządzenie w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 29 stycznia 1996 r. w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejUstawa z dnia 19 lutego 1993 r. o znakach Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejHistoria Marynarki Wojennej RP [波兰海军史]Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 12 kwietnia 2002 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych Straży GranicznejRozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 18 kwietnia 2005 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych PolicjiRozporządzenie Ministra Infrastruktury z dnia 21 października 2005 r. w sprawie wzorów flag dla statków morskich na oznaczenie pełnionej specjalnej służby państwowej oraz okoliczności i warunków ich podnoszenia波兰旗帜波兰编

            Indenting and Dedenting ASP code with Python