Is “plugging out” electronic devices an American expression?American pronunciation of constituentAmerican Accent or American Intonation?Emphatic constructions in American EnglishAmerican English Idiom “Out of this world” and Sentence StressBritish “Packet” = American “X?”school lunch in American Englishsubtlety in English expressionlecture theater- an American expression?American equivalent of British “takeaway”Is this text American or British English? Please, I need the American version

Is there a familial term for apples and pears?

Sort in WP_Query(), not filter? Is it possible?

I see my dog run

Are cabin dividers used to "hide" the flex of the airplane?

What do you call something that goes against the spirit of the law, but is legal when interpreting the law to the letter?

Is there a way to make member function NOT callable from constructor?

Why is the design of haulage companies so “special”?

How to move the player while also allowing forces to affect it

Could a US political party gain complete control over the government by removing checks & balances?

I’m planning on buying a laser printer but concerned about the life cycle of toner in the machine

Is it legal to have the "// (c) 2019 John Smith" header in all files when there are hundreds of contributors?

Weird behaviour when using querySelector

Landlord wants to switch my lease to a "Land contract" to "get back at the city"

How can I fix this gap between bookcases I made?

Doomsday-clock for my fantasy planet

Could Giant Ground Sloths have been a Good Pack Animal for the Ancient Mayans

Symmetry in quantum mechanics

What do the Banks children have against barley water?

Ideas for colorfully and clearly highlighting graph edges according to weights

My colleague's body is amazing

Add an angle to a sphere

How many letters suffice to construct words with no repetition?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of running one shots compared to campaigns?

Is this food a bread or a loaf?



Is “plugging out” electronic devices an American expression?


American pronunciation of constituentAmerican Accent or American Intonation?Emphatic constructions in American EnglishAmerican English Idiom “Out of this world” and Sentence StressBritish “Packet” = American “X?”school lunch in American Englishsubtlety in English expressionlecture theater- an American expression?American equivalent of British “takeaway”Is this text American or British English? Please, I need the American version






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








4















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question



















  • 5





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago

















4















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question



















  • 5





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago













4












4








4








Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?










share|improve this question
















Are these valid in American English as opposed to "unplug".




Plug out the charger from the wall.



I plugged out my TV.



I found my radio plugged out.




I started hanging out with some guys of Jamaican descent who were born in Canada and I noticed that they talked about "plugging out" their electronic devices rather than "unplugging" them. Recently I've begun to hear the same expression from non-Jamaicans.



Anyone have any idea how widespread this is?







american-english






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 2 hours ago







Kaique

















asked 2 hours ago









KaiqueKaique

1,497420




1,497420







  • 5





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago












  • 5





    FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

    – Mixolydian
    1 hour ago







5




5





FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

– Mixolydian
1 hour ago





FWIW, I'm an American and I have never heard anyone use this expression. I say "unplug".

– Mixolydian
1 hour ago










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago











  • @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    18 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    17 mins ago











Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "481"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f204522%2fis-plugging-out-electronic-devices-an-american-expression%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago











  • @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    18 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    17 mins ago















6














Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer




















  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago











  • @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    18 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    17 mins ago













6












6








6







Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.







share|improve this answer















Wiktionary defines the expression plug out as Irish:




(Ireland, transitive, colloquial) To unplug; to remove (an electrical device) from its socket.




From The Daily Edge : 13 words you'll never hear outside of Ireland...




Another uniquely Irish phrase is 'to plug out' as in ' plug out the telly'.








share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited 52 mins ago

























answered 1 hour ago









user070221user070221

5,08111033




5,08111033







  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago











  • @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    18 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    17 mins ago












  • 2





    The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

    – Colin Fine
    1 hour ago











  • @ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

    – SamBC
    18 mins ago











  • (I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

    – SamBC
    17 mins ago







2




2





The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

– Colin Fine
1 hour ago





The GloWbE corpus seems to confirm this, but also some other Englishes. 1 relevant example from US, 5 from UK, 10 from Ireland, 4 from India, 2 Bangla Desh, 3 singapore, 3 Jamaica, 1 each from Hong Kong and kenya. None from anywhere else. I have learnt something: I would have said that no native English speaker used this expression.

– Colin Fine
1 hour ago













@ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

– SamBC
18 mins ago





@ColinFine Does your corpus search make sure it's looking at that as a verb? After all, you may get "take the plug out of the bath", which is something else entirely.

– SamBC
18 mins ago













(I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

– SamBC
17 mins ago





(I never heard it in Britain, but the UK does include a chunk of Ireland, which may affect the results)

– SamBC
17 mins ago

















draft saved

draft discarded
















































Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language Learners Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fell.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f204522%2fis-plugging-out-electronic-devices-an-american-expression%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

瀋陽號驅逐艦 目录 接收與服役 配置反潛直升機 武進三型性能升級 歷史 除役 參考資料 外部連結 导航菜单Taiwan Air Power海疆老兵-陽字號驅逐艦沿革World Navies Today: Taiwan (Republic of China)DD-839 USS POWER编

波兰旗帜列表 目录 国旗 军旗 其他制服部门旗帜 特别国家机构船只 参考文献 外部链接 导航菜单Polskie flagi, chorągwie, bandery... [波兰旗帜、条幅、船旗等]原始内容Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowychZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 14 grudnia 2005 r. zmieniające zarządzenie w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 29 stycznia 1996 r. w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejUstawa z dnia 19 lutego 1993 r. o znakach Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejHistoria Marynarki Wojennej RP [波兰海军史]Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 12 kwietnia 2002 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych Straży GranicznejRozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 18 kwietnia 2005 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych PolicjiRozporządzenie Ministra Infrastruktury z dnia 21 października 2005 r. w sprawie wzorów flag dla statków morskich na oznaczenie pełnionej specjalnej służby państwowej oraz okoliczności i warunków ich podnoszenia波兰旗帜波兰编

Indenting and Dedenting ASP code with Python