What is best way to wire a ceiling receptacle in this situation? Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern) Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?How do I wire a switch/receptacle combination?Is there some kind of adapter for an old ceiling box?Rewiring a switch controlled receptacle to a ceiling lightOddball wiring for ceiling lightWhat is the purpose of these removable “collars” on ceramic light fixturesHow close can light be to exposed insulation?Convert light fixture to receptacleWill cutting section of 2x4 reduce strengthWiring a ceiling light to a switched receptacleRunning wire in basement with drop ceiling

Why are vacuum tubes still used in amateur radios?

Central Vacuuming: Is it worth it, and how does it compare to normal vacuuming?

Why do aircraft stall warning systems use angle-of-attack vanes rather than detecting airflow separation directly?

Significance of Cersei's obsession with elephants?

Deconstruction is ambiguous

Strange behavior of Object.defineProperty() in JavaScript

Did Mueller's report provide an evidentiary basis for the claim of Russian govt election interference via social media?

preposition before coffee

Should a wizard buy fine inks every time he want to copy spells into his spellbook?

How many time has Arya actually used Needle?

What do you call the main part of a joke?

Trademark violation for app?

Lagrange four-squares theorem --- deterministic complexity

What order were files/directories output in dir?

The Nth Gryphon Number

How to write capital alpha?

1-probability to calculate two events in a row

Is there hard evidence that the grant peer review system performs significantly better than random?

How to compare two different files line by line in unix?

Getting prompted for verification code but where do I put it in?

Co-worker has annoying ringtone

Do I really need to have a message in a novel to appeal to readers?

Why does it sometimes sound good to play a grace note as a lead in to a note in a melody?

The test team as an enemy of development? And how can this be avoided?



What is best way to wire a ceiling receptacle in this situation?



Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern)
Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Unicorn Meta Zoo #1: Why another podcast?How do I wire a switch/receptacle combination?Is there some kind of adapter for an old ceiling box?Rewiring a switch controlled receptacle to a ceiling lightOddball wiring for ceiling lightWhat is the purpose of these removable “collars” on ceramic light fixturesHow close can light be to exposed insulation?Convert light fixture to receptacleWill cutting section of 2x4 reduce strengthWiring a ceiling light to a switched receptacleRunning wire in basement with drop ceiling



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








1















I was trying to rewire this garage door opener where in current situation it is not code compliant to where it is. The picture above shows where a porcelain light socket was wired. I had hoped to use it for receptacle but the cover is too big for the box and the one that does fit is too recessed in ceiling. Behind the middle of box in picture is cross piece that is mounted between two ceiling joists. I had thought of keeping light and make another hole in ceiling for receptacle box. How close could the porcelain light fixture and receptacle be to each other to be code compliant? Using Led bulb in socket and both are on same circuit.enter image description here










share|improve this question






























    1















    I was trying to rewire this garage door opener where in current situation it is not code compliant to where it is. The picture above shows where a porcelain light socket was wired. I had hoped to use it for receptacle but the cover is too big for the box and the one that does fit is too recessed in ceiling. Behind the middle of box in picture is cross piece that is mounted between two ceiling joists. I had thought of keeping light and make another hole in ceiling for receptacle box. How close could the porcelain light fixture and receptacle be to each other to be code compliant? Using Led bulb in socket and both are on same circuit.enter image description here










    share|improve this question


























      1












      1








      1








      I was trying to rewire this garage door opener where in current situation it is not code compliant to where it is. The picture above shows where a porcelain light socket was wired. I had hoped to use it for receptacle but the cover is too big for the box and the one that does fit is too recessed in ceiling. Behind the middle of box in picture is cross piece that is mounted between two ceiling joists. I had thought of keeping light and make another hole in ceiling for receptacle box. How close could the porcelain light fixture and receptacle be to each other to be code compliant? Using Led bulb in socket and both are on same circuit.enter image description here










      share|improve this question
















      I was trying to rewire this garage door opener where in current situation it is not code compliant to where it is. The picture above shows where a porcelain light socket was wired. I had hoped to use it for receptacle but the cover is too big for the box and the one that does fit is too recessed in ceiling. Behind the middle of box in picture is cross piece that is mounted between two ceiling joists. I had thought of keeping light and make another hole in ceiling for receptacle box. How close could the porcelain light fixture and receptacle be to each other to be code compliant? Using Led bulb in socket and both are on same circuit.enter image description here







      electrical wiring receptacle






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited 1 hour ago









      Machavity

      8,46821942




      8,46821942










      asked 2 hours ago









      georgia-guygeorgia-guy

      1149




      1149




















          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          2














          They make lampholders that have an outlet built in. Solves the problem of mounting this to that octagon box.



          enter image description here






          share|improve this answer























          • I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

            – georgia-guy
            1 hour ago











          • Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

            – Machavity
            1 hour ago


















          0














          I like Machavity's solution. The only problem would be that the box and wire are probably switched at the wall since there is a keyless socket there now. That would mean your opener would be on that switch. There would be nothing wrong with that unless somebody turns the switch off and then your opener would not work. That could work as a security type of 'vacation mode' where you could turn off your opener when you are away. I put a controlled plug-in adapter with a wireless remote for my mother-in-law because she had her door opened by somebody driving by. She turns it off at night or if she is not expecting us to come over.



          I can't tell you code wise on the distance, but make sure if you put in another box it is 'ceiling rated'. A lot of cut-in old work boxes are only wall rated and this would affect the fire rating of your ceiling. I wouldn't suggest putting that wire in the same octagon box in the picture because you could end up with 240 volts in that box depending on which leg the wires come off your panel. Lastly, don't use a residential grade receptacle, pay the couple of dollars more for a commercial receptacle because these will grip the plug blades better.






          share|improve this answer























          • It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

            – georgia-guy
            35 mins ago











          Your Answer








          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "73"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          noCode: true, onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdiy.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f162387%2fwhat-is-best-way-to-wire-a-ceiling-receptacle-in-this-situation%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes








          2 Answers
          2






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          2














          They make lampholders that have an outlet built in. Solves the problem of mounting this to that octagon box.



          enter image description here






          share|improve this answer























          • I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

            – georgia-guy
            1 hour ago











          • Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

            – Machavity
            1 hour ago















          2














          They make lampholders that have an outlet built in. Solves the problem of mounting this to that octagon box.



          enter image description here






          share|improve this answer























          • I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

            – georgia-guy
            1 hour ago











          • Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

            – Machavity
            1 hour ago













          2












          2








          2







          They make lampholders that have an outlet built in. Solves the problem of mounting this to that octagon box.



          enter image description here






          share|improve this answer













          They make lampholders that have an outlet built in. Solves the problem of mounting this to that octagon box.



          enter image description here







          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered 1 hour ago









          MachavityMachavity

          8,46821942




          8,46821942












          • I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

            – georgia-guy
            1 hour ago











          • Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

            – Machavity
            1 hour ago

















          • I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

            – georgia-guy
            1 hour ago











          • Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

            – Machavity
            1 hour ago
















          I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

          – georgia-guy
          1 hour ago





          I had thought of that, but I was always concerned about how good the receptacle coming off the light socket would be. The garage door opener would be the only thing plugged into it (1/2 hp chain drive garage door opener).

          – georgia-guy
          1 hour ago













          Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

          – Machavity
          1 hour ago





          Unless you think that light circuit is overloaded, this should be good enough to run a door opener

          – Machavity
          1 hour ago













          0














          I like Machavity's solution. The only problem would be that the box and wire are probably switched at the wall since there is a keyless socket there now. That would mean your opener would be on that switch. There would be nothing wrong with that unless somebody turns the switch off and then your opener would not work. That could work as a security type of 'vacation mode' where you could turn off your opener when you are away. I put a controlled plug-in adapter with a wireless remote for my mother-in-law because she had her door opened by somebody driving by. She turns it off at night or if she is not expecting us to come over.



          I can't tell you code wise on the distance, but make sure if you put in another box it is 'ceiling rated'. A lot of cut-in old work boxes are only wall rated and this would affect the fire rating of your ceiling. I wouldn't suggest putting that wire in the same octagon box in the picture because you could end up with 240 volts in that box depending on which leg the wires come off your panel. Lastly, don't use a residential grade receptacle, pay the couple of dollars more for a commercial receptacle because these will grip the plug blades better.






          share|improve this answer























          • It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

            – georgia-guy
            35 mins ago















          0














          I like Machavity's solution. The only problem would be that the box and wire are probably switched at the wall since there is a keyless socket there now. That would mean your opener would be on that switch. There would be nothing wrong with that unless somebody turns the switch off and then your opener would not work. That could work as a security type of 'vacation mode' where you could turn off your opener when you are away. I put a controlled plug-in adapter with a wireless remote for my mother-in-law because she had her door opened by somebody driving by. She turns it off at night or if she is not expecting us to come over.



          I can't tell you code wise on the distance, but make sure if you put in another box it is 'ceiling rated'. A lot of cut-in old work boxes are only wall rated and this would affect the fire rating of your ceiling. I wouldn't suggest putting that wire in the same octagon box in the picture because you could end up with 240 volts in that box depending on which leg the wires come off your panel. Lastly, don't use a residential grade receptacle, pay the couple of dollars more for a commercial receptacle because these will grip the plug blades better.






          share|improve this answer























          • It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

            – georgia-guy
            35 mins ago













          0












          0








          0







          I like Machavity's solution. The only problem would be that the box and wire are probably switched at the wall since there is a keyless socket there now. That would mean your opener would be on that switch. There would be nothing wrong with that unless somebody turns the switch off and then your opener would not work. That could work as a security type of 'vacation mode' where you could turn off your opener when you are away. I put a controlled plug-in adapter with a wireless remote for my mother-in-law because she had her door opened by somebody driving by. She turns it off at night or if she is not expecting us to come over.



          I can't tell you code wise on the distance, but make sure if you put in another box it is 'ceiling rated'. A lot of cut-in old work boxes are only wall rated and this would affect the fire rating of your ceiling. I wouldn't suggest putting that wire in the same octagon box in the picture because you could end up with 240 volts in that box depending on which leg the wires come off your panel. Lastly, don't use a residential grade receptacle, pay the couple of dollars more for a commercial receptacle because these will grip the plug blades better.






          share|improve this answer













          I like Machavity's solution. The only problem would be that the box and wire are probably switched at the wall since there is a keyless socket there now. That would mean your opener would be on that switch. There would be nothing wrong with that unless somebody turns the switch off and then your opener would not work. That could work as a security type of 'vacation mode' where you could turn off your opener when you are away. I put a controlled plug-in adapter with a wireless remote for my mother-in-law because she had her door opened by somebody driving by. She turns it off at night or if she is not expecting us to come over.



          I can't tell you code wise on the distance, but make sure if you put in another box it is 'ceiling rated'. A lot of cut-in old work boxes are only wall rated and this would affect the fire rating of your ceiling. I wouldn't suggest putting that wire in the same octagon box in the picture because you could end up with 240 volts in that box depending on which leg the wires come off your panel. Lastly, don't use a residential grade receptacle, pay the couple of dollars more for a commercial receptacle because these will grip the plug blades better.







          share|improve this answer












          share|improve this answer



          share|improve this answer










          answered 43 mins ago









          lqlarrylqlarry

          7,18711336




          7,18711336












          • It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

            – georgia-guy
            35 mins ago

















          • It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

            – georgia-guy
            35 mins ago
















          It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

          – georgia-guy
          35 mins ago





          It is switched at the wall in kitchen nearby. Before it was run from switch in kitchen to junction box in attic and from there to door opener and light socket. I would be eliminating one of the runs of wire by using socket and receptacle together like above. Is the box you are talking about can be found at the big box home improvement stores? I didn't remember seeing that type there.

          – georgia-guy
          35 mins ago

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fdiy.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f162387%2fwhat-is-best-way-to-wire-a-ceiling-receptacle-in-this-situation%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          瀋陽號驅逐艦 目录 接收與服役 配置反潛直升機 武進三型性能升級 歷史 除役 參考資料 外部連結 导航菜单Taiwan Air Power海疆老兵-陽字號驅逐艦沿革World Navies Today: Taiwan (Republic of China)DD-839 USS POWER编

          波兰旗帜列表 目录 国旗 军旗 其他制服部门旗帜 特别国家机构船只 参考文献 外部链接 导航菜单Polskie flagi, chorągwie, bandery... [波兰旗帜、条幅、船旗等]原始内容Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowychZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 14 grudnia 2005 r. zmieniające zarządzenie w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 29 stycznia 1996 r. w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejUstawa z dnia 19 lutego 1993 r. o znakach Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejHistoria Marynarki Wojennej RP [波兰海军史]Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 12 kwietnia 2002 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych Straży GranicznejRozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 18 kwietnia 2005 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych PolicjiRozporządzenie Ministra Infrastruktury z dnia 21 października 2005 r. w sprawie wzorów flag dla statków morskich na oznaczenie pełnionej specjalnej służby państwowej oraz okoliczności i warunków ich podnoszenia波兰旗帜波兰编

          Indenting and Dedenting ASP code with Python