Why are all the doors on Ferenginar (the Ferengi home world) far shorter than the average Ferengi?Why didn't the Ferengi just steal the whole NX-01?Why do the Ferengi pronounce “human” the way they do?Why didn't the Ferengi Commerce Authority take Quark's mother's house and possessions?Why are the Ferengi classed as Species 180, by the Borg?Why are desiccated Ferengi green?Are the Ferengi the richest and most powerful civilization in the Star Trek world given that they are the most driven by the pursuit of money?Why do the Ferengi still use latinum as currency?Why do the Ferengi keep their women naked?Are the Ferengi racially discriminated against by members of the Federation?Why did the Ferengi stay there in “The Price” after Geordi's warning?

In Star Trek IV, why did the Bounty go back to a time when whales were already rare?

Superhero words!

Can the electrostatic force be infinite in magnitude?

Is there a word to describe the feeling of being transfixed out of horror?

What is the term when two people sing in harmony, but they aren't singing the same notes?

How do I repair my stair bannister?

Why does the compiler allow throws when the method will never throw the Exception

Partial sums of primes

I'm in charge of equipment buying but no one's ever happy with what I choose. How to fix this?

Is there an wasy way to program in Tikz something like the one in the image?

Could solar power be utilized and substitute coal in the 19th century?

What will be the benefits of Brexit?

Bob has never been a M before

Reply ‘no position’ while the job posting is still there (‘HiWi’ position in Germany)

What is the opposite of 'gravitas'?

Can somebody explain Brexit in a few child-proof sentences?

Can I Retrieve Email Addresses from BCC?

How to deal with loss of decision making power over a change?

Can a Gentile theist be saved?

Invariance of results when scaling explanatory variables in logistic regression, is there a proof?

Can a Bard use an arcane focus?

How to be able to process a large JSON response?

How to interpret the phrase "t’en a fait voir à toi"?

Why are on-board computers allowed to change controls without notifying the pilots?



Why are all the doors on Ferenginar (the Ferengi home world) far shorter than the average Ferengi?


Why didn't the Ferengi just steal the whole NX-01?Why do the Ferengi pronounce “human” the way they do?Why didn't the Ferengi Commerce Authority take Quark's mother's house and possessions?Why are the Ferengi classed as Species 180, by the Borg?Why are desiccated Ferengi green?Are the Ferengi the richest and most powerful civilization in the Star Trek world given that they are the most driven by the pursuit of money?Why do the Ferengi still use latinum as currency?Why do the Ferengi keep their women naked?Are the Ferengi racially discriminated against by members of the Federation?Why did the Ferengi stay there in “The Price” after Geordi's warning?













9















I was watching DS9: Family Business when I noticed all the doors on Ferenginar are much shorter than the average Ferengi, causing them to crouch down every time they enter a room.



That's gotta be terrible for their backs! I understand that Ferengi are shorter than the average humanoid, but why would they make the doors on their own home world too short for themselves?!



enter image description here



There are some other examples
here 1, 2, 3










share|improve this question









New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.















  • 2





    Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

    – Valorum
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Make them bowing when entering buildings.

    – Oni
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

    – ApproachingDarknessFish
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

    – Rebel-Scum
    1 hour ago






  • 3





    Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

    – starpilotsix
    1 hour ago
















9















I was watching DS9: Family Business when I noticed all the doors on Ferenginar are much shorter than the average Ferengi, causing them to crouch down every time they enter a room.



That's gotta be terrible for their backs! I understand that Ferengi are shorter than the average humanoid, but why would they make the doors on their own home world too short for themselves?!



enter image description here



There are some other examples
here 1, 2, 3










share|improve this question









New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.















  • 2





    Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

    – Valorum
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Make them bowing when entering buildings.

    – Oni
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

    – ApproachingDarknessFish
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

    – Rebel-Scum
    1 hour ago






  • 3





    Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

    – starpilotsix
    1 hour ago














9












9








9


1






I was watching DS9: Family Business when I noticed all the doors on Ferenginar are much shorter than the average Ferengi, causing them to crouch down every time they enter a room.



That's gotta be terrible for their backs! I understand that Ferengi are shorter than the average humanoid, but why would they make the doors on their own home world too short for themselves?!



enter image description here



There are some other examples
here 1, 2, 3










share|improve this question









New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.












I was watching DS9: Family Business when I noticed all the doors on Ferenginar are much shorter than the average Ferengi, causing them to crouch down every time they enter a room.



That's gotta be terrible for their backs! I understand that Ferengi are shorter than the average humanoid, but why would they make the doors on their own home world too short for themselves?!



enter image description here



There are some other examples
here 1, 2, 3







star-trek star-trek-ds9 ferengi






share|improve this question









New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.











share|improve this question









New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited 2 hours ago









Valorum

411k11129983218




411k11129983218






New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.









asked 2 hours ago









RexxiARexxiA

463




463




New contributor




RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.





New contributor





RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.






RexxiA is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







  • 2





    Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

    – Valorum
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Make them bowing when entering buildings.

    – Oni
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

    – ApproachingDarknessFish
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

    – Rebel-Scum
    1 hour ago






  • 3





    Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

    – starpilotsix
    1 hour ago













  • 2





    Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

    – Valorum
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Make them bowing when entering buildings.

    – Oni
    2 hours ago






  • 1





    Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

    – ApproachingDarknessFish
    1 hour ago






  • 1





    @ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

    – Rebel-Scum
    1 hour ago






  • 3





    Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

    – starpilotsix
    1 hour ago








2




2





Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

– Valorum
2 hours ago





Good question. I wondered that at the time too. I suspect it's to make the houses look more like dens.

– Valorum
2 hours ago




1




1





Make them bowing when entering buildings.

– Oni
2 hours ago





Make them bowing when entering buildings.

– Oni
2 hours ago




1




1





Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

– ApproachingDarknessFish
1 hour ago





Memory Alpha hypothesizes that it's a LoTR reference. But you seem to be looking for an in-universe explanation.

– ApproachingDarknessFish
1 hour ago




1




1





@ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

– Rebel-Scum
1 hour ago





@ApproachingDarknessFish Nice find, I wasn't aware of this

– Rebel-Scum
1 hour ago




3




3





Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

– starpilotsix
1 hour ago






Ferenginar's weather is known for torrential rains and rivers of muck. If dens (either presently or traditionally) are air tight, having doors below head level would ensure in the event of an overwhelming flood there's a bubble of air trapped inside that is breathable for those inside. But this has no canon support I'm aware of so I can't put my rampant speculation as answer. :)

– starpilotsix
1 hour ago











1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes


















5














The original script describes them thusly;




There are no windows, but there are a few doors leading to other parts
of the building. The doors are low and tunnel-like and even Ferengi
have to stoop to get through them. Rain from Ferenginar's relentless
downpour can be heard beating against the roof.



Quark and Rom ENTER, followed by Brunt. Each Ferengi deposits a coin
in a collection box by the door, then removes a towel from a rack, and
begins blotting off the rain.




The fact that they look like tunnel entrances may be a nod to the fact that the Ferengi are more animalistic, living in literal dens that have been modernised.




I've seen web-chatter that one of the EU novels mentions that the doorways became smaller over time as the Ferengi realised that they were among the shortest of the Alpha quadrant races, as a form of compensation for their obvious inferiority.




I liked the explanation offered in one of the books that Ferengi
doors are too short for them. After gaining spaceflight and realizing
they are shorter than other humanoids, the trend for small doors
emerged as a way to make them feel taller in the same spaces.
I kind
of retroactively assumed that's what the designers were actually
thinking







share|improve this answer























  • And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

    – Valorum
    47 mins ago










Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "186"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);






RexxiA is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









draft saved

draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fscifi.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f207874%2fwhy-are-all-the-doors-on-ferenginar-the-ferengi-home-world-far-shorter-than-th%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown

























1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes








1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









5














The original script describes them thusly;




There are no windows, but there are a few doors leading to other parts
of the building. The doors are low and tunnel-like and even Ferengi
have to stoop to get through them. Rain from Ferenginar's relentless
downpour can be heard beating against the roof.



Quark and Rom ENTER, followed by Brunt. Each Ferengi deposits a coin
in a collection box by the door, then removes a towel from a rack, and
begins blotting off the rain.




The fact that they look like tunnel entrances may be a nod to the fact that the Ferengi are more animalistic, living in literal dens that have been modernised.




I've seen web-chatter that one of the EU novels mentions that the doorways became smaller over time as the Ferengi realised that they were among the shortest of the Alpha quadrant races, as a form of compensation for their obvious inferiority.




I liked the explanation offered in one of the books that Ferengi
doors are too short for them. After gaining spaceflight and realizing
they are shorter than other humanoids, the trend for small doors
emerged as a way to make them feel taller in the same spaces.
I kind
of retroactively assumed that's what the designers were actually
thinking







share|improve this answer























  • And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

    – Valorum
    47 mins ago















5














The original script describes them thusly;




There are no windows, but there are a few doors leading to other parts
of the building. The doors are low and tunnel-like and even Ferengi
have to stoop to get through them. Rain from Ferenginar's relentless
downpour can be heard beating against the roof.



Quark and Rom ENTER, followed by Brunt. Each Ferengi deposits a coin
in a collection box by the door, then removes a towel from a rack, and
begins blotting off the rain.




The fact that they look like tunnel entrances may be a nod to the fact that the Ferengi are more animalistic, living in literal dens that have been modernised.




I've seen web-chatter that one of the EU novels mentions that the doorways became smaller over time as the Ferengi realised that they were among the shortest of the Alpha quadrant races, as a form of compensation for their obvious inferiority.




I liked the explanation offered in one of the books that Ferengi
doors are too short for them. After gaining spaceflight and realizing
they are shorter than other humanoids, the trend for small doors
emerged as a way to make them feel taller in the same spaces.
I kind
of retroactively assumed that's what the designers were actually
thinking







share|improve this answer























  • And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

    – Valorum
    47 mins ago













5












5








5







The original script describes them thusly;




There are no windows, but there are a few doors leading to other parts
of the building. The doors are low and tunnel-like and even Ferengi
have to stoop to get through them. Rain from Ferenginar's relentless
downpour can be heard beating against the roof.



Quark and Rom ENTER, followed by Brunt. Each Ferengi deposits a coin
in a collection box by the door, then removes a towel from a rack, and
begins blotting off the rain.




The fact that they look like tunnel entrances may be a nod to the fact that the Ferengi are more animalistic, living in literal dens that have been modernised.




I've seen web-chatter that one of the EU novels mentions that the doorways became smaller over time as the Ferengi realised that they were among the shortest of the Alpha quadrant races, as a form of compensation for their obvious inferiority.




I liked the explanation offered in one of the books that Ferengi
doors are too short for them. After gaining spaceflight and realizing
they are shorter than other humanoids, the trend for small doors
emerged as a way to make them feel taller in the same spaces.
I kind
of retroactively assumed that's what the designers were actually
thinking







share|improve this answer













The original script describes them thusly;




There are no windows, but there are a few doors leading to other parts
of the building. The doors are low and tunnel-like and even Ferengi
have to stoop to get through them. Rain from Ferenginar's relentless
downpour can be heard beating against the roof.



Quark and Rom ENTER, followed by Brunt. Each Ferengi deposits a coin
in a collection box by the door, then removes a towel from a rack, and
begins blotting off the rain.




The fact that they look like tunnel entrances may be a nod to the fact that the Ferengi are more animalistic, living in literal dens that have been modernised.




I've seen web-chatter that one of the EU novels mentions that the doorways became smaller over time as the Ferengi realised that they were among the shortest of the Alpha quadrant races, as a form of compensation for their obvious inferiority.




I liked the explanation offered in one of the books that Ferengi
doors are too short for them. After gaining spaceflight and realizing
they are shorter than other humanoids, the trend for small doors
emerged as a way to make them feel taller in the same spaces.
I kind
of retroactively assumed that's what the designers were actually
thinking








share|improve this answer












share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer










answered 59 mins ago









ValorumValorum

411k11129983218




411k11129983218












  • And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

    – Valorum
    47 mins ago

















  • And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

    – Valorum
    47 mins ago
















And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

– Valorum
47 mins ago





And yes, I'm trying to track down the source of that reference.

– Valorum
47 mins ago










RexxiA is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









draft saved

draft discarded


















RexxiA is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












RexxiA is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











RexxiA is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














Thanks for contributing an answer to Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid …


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fscifi.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f207874%2fwhy-are-all-the-doors-on-ferenginar-the-ferengi-home-world-far-shorter-than-th%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown







Popular posts from this blog

瀋陽號驅逐艦 目录 接收與服役 配置反潛直升機 武進三型性能升級 歷史 除役 參考資料 外部連結 导航菜单Taiwan Air Power海疆老兵-陽字號驅逐艦沿革World Navies Today: Taiwan (Republic of China)DD-839 USS POWER编

波兰旗帜列表 目录 国旗 军旗 其他制服部门旗帜 特别国家机构船只 参考文献 外部链接 导航菜单Polskie flagi, chorągwie, bandery... [波兰旗帜、条幅、船旗等]原始内容Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowychZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 14 grudnia 2005 r. zmieniające zarządzenie w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 29 stycznia 1996 r. w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejUstawa z dnia 19 lutego 1993 r. o znakach Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejHistoria Marynarki Wojennej RP [波兰海军史]Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 12 kwietnia 2002 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych Straży GranicznejRozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 18 kwietnia 2005 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych PolicjiRozporządzenie Ministra Infrastruktury z dnia 21 października 2005 r. w sprawie wzorów flag dla statków morskich na oznaczenie pełnionej specjalnej służby państwowej oraz okoliczności i warunków ich podnoszenia波兰旗帜波兰编

Indenting and Dedenting ASP code with Python