I've got enums on top of enums, and then some more traits for those enums… it's getting unwieldy Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)

How to find all the available tools in macOS terminal?

What does the "x" in "x86" represent?

Is the address of a local variable a constexpr?

Difference between these two cards?

"Seemed to had" is it correct?

Sorting numerically

Is it true that "carbohydrates are of no use for the basal metabolic need"?

If 'B is more likely given A', then 'A is more likely given B'

List *all* the tuples!

What are the motives behind Cersei's orders given to Bronn?

Disable hyphenation for an entire paragraph

Withdrew £2800, but only £2000 shows as withdrawn on online banking; what are my obligations?

The logistics of corpse disposal

Can Pao de Queijo, and similar foods, be kosher for Passover?

Is 1 ppb equal to 1 μg/kg?

Is there a concise way to say "all of the X, one of each"?

Java 8 stream max() function argument type Comparator vs Comparable

What happens to sewage if there is no river near by?

What is the longest distance a 13th-level monk can jump while attacking on the same turn?

I need to find the potential function of a vector field.

When to stop saving and start investing?

G-Code for resetting to 100% speed

How can players work together to take actions that are otherwise impossible?

Should I discuss the type of campaign with my players?



I've got enums on top of enums, and then some more traits for those enums… it's getting unwieldy



Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 17/18, 2019 at 00:00UTC (8:00pm US/Eastern)



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








0












$begingroup$


So I have an enum wrapping an enum, but I have another enum talking about what that enum is.



Which makes for a confusing English sentence, so here's an example.



I got one enum:



enum Example 
A(Something),
B structfield: K ,
C(Gamma, Third),
D(InsertSomethingElseCrazyHereThatCantImplementANYTraitsCauseReasons),



Which is all fine and dandy, but I needed another way to categorize them and compare the categories without matching. I also needed to pass along Examples without fields, and then I realized that I should probably use an enum describing my enum, so I ended up doing this:



#[derive(Eq, PartialEq, YouGetThePoint)]
enum ExampleCategory
A, B, C, D



Then, cause I wanna easily go from Example to ExampleCategory:



impl From<Example> for ExampleCategory 
fn from(e: Example)
match e
Example::A(_) => ExampleCategory::A
Example::B.. => ExampleCategory::B
Example::C(_,_,_) => ExampleCategory::C,
Example::D(_) => ExampleCategory::D





So now, every time I need to add an Example, I end up needing to change code in three different places, and if I want a new trait... etc. Also, if theSomethinginExample::A` were another kind of this enum. *shudders



I think I made my point on why this is probably a bad idea.



I'm 90% positive there's a better way to do this (that doesn't involve macros since I don't even know how I would go about doing that). How would I change this to be more DRY/better? Since the Example enum is actually a part of a larger issue.










share|improve this question







New contributor




AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
Check out our Code of Conduct.







$endgroup$


















    0












    $begingroup$


    So I have an enum wrapping an enum, but I have another enum talking about what that enum is.



    Which makes for a confusing English sentence, so here's an example.



    I got one enum:



    enum Example 
    A(Something),
    B structfield: K ,
    C(Gamma, Third),
    D(InsertSomethingElseCrazyHereThatCantImplementANYTraitsCauseReasons),



    Which is all fine and dandy, but I needed another way to categorize them and compare the categories without matching. I also needed to pass along Examples without fields, and then I realized that I should probably use an enum describing my enum, so I ended up doing this:



    #[derive(Eq, PartialEq, YouGetThePoint)]
    enum ExampleCategory
    A, B, C, D



    Then, cause I wanna easily go from Example to ExampleCategory:



    impl From<Example> for ExampleCategory 
    fn from(e: Example)
    match e
    Example::A(_) => ExampleCategory::A
    Example::B.. => ExampleCategory::B
    Example::C(_,_,_) => ExampleCategory::C,
    Example::D(_) => ExampleCategory::D





    So now, every time I need to add an Example, I end up needing to change code in three different places, and if I want a new trait... etc. Also, if theSomethinginExample::A` were another kind of this enum. *shudders



    I think I made my point on why this is probably a bad idea.



    I'm 90% positive there's a better way to do this (that doesn't involve macros since I don't even know how I would go about doing that). How would I change this to be more DRY/better? Since the Example enum is actually a part of a larger issue.










    share|improve this question







    New contributor




    AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
    Check out our Code of Conduct.







    $endgroup$














      0












      0








      0





      $begingroup$


      So I have an enum wrapping an enum, but I have another enum talking about what that enum is.



      Which makes for a confusing English sentence, so here's an example.



      I got one enum:



      enum Example 
      A(Something),
      B structfield: K ,
      C(Gamma, Third),
      D(InsertSomethingElseCrazyHereThatCantImplementANYTraitsCauseReasons),



      Which is all fine and dandy, but I needed another way to categorize them and compare the categories without matching. I also needed to pass along Examples without fields, and then I realized that I should probably use an enum describing my enum, so I ended up doing this:



      #[derive(Eq, PartialEq, YouGetThePoint)]
      enum ExampleCategory
      A, B, C, D



      Then, cause I wanna easily go from Example to ExampleCategory:



      impl From<Example> for ExampleCategory 
      fn from(e: Example)
      match e
      Example::A(_) => ExampleCategory::A
      Example::B.. => ExampleCategory::B
      Example::C(_,_,_) => ExampleCategory::C,
      Example::D(_) => ExampleCategory::D





      So now, every time I need to add an Example, I end up needing to change code in three different places, and if I want a new trait... etc. Also, if theSomethinginExample::A` were another kind of this enum. *shudders



      I think I made my point on why this is probably a bad idea.



      I'm 90% positive there's a better way to do this (that doesn't involve macros since I don't even know how I would go about doing that). How would I change this to be more DRY/better? Since the Example enum is actually a part of a larger issue.










      share|improve this question







      New contributor




      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.







      $endgroup$




      So I have an enum wrapping an enum, but I have another enum talking about what that enum is.



      Which makes for a confusing English sentence, so here's an example.



      I got one enum:



      enum Example 
      A(Something),
      B structfield: K ,
      C(Gamma, Third),
      D(InsertSomethingElseCrazyHereThatCantImplementANYTraitsCauseReasons),



      Which is all fine and dandy, but I needed another way to categorize them and compare the categories without matching. I also needed to pass along Examples without fields, and then I realized that I should probably use an enum describing my enum, so I ended up doing this:



      #[derive(Eq, PartialEq, YouGetThePoint)]
      enum ExampleCategory
      A, B, C, D



      Then, cause I wanna easily go from Example to ExampleCategory:



      impl From<Example> for ExampleCategory 
      fn from(e: Example)
      match e
      Example::A(_) => ExampleCategory::A
      Example::B.. => ExampleCategory::B
      Example::C(_,_,_) => ExampleCategory::C,
      Example::D(_) => ExampleCategory::D





      So now, every time I need to add an Example, I end up needing to change code in three different places, and if I want a new trait... etc. Also, if theSomethinginExample::A` were another kind of this enum. *shudders



      I think I made my point on why this is probably a bad idea.



      I'm 90% positive there's a better way to do this (that doesn't involve macros since I don't even know how I would go about doing that). How would I change this to be more DRY/better? Since the Example enum is actually a part of a larger issue.







      rust enum






      share|improve this question







      New contributor




      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.











      share|improve this question







      New contributor




      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question






      New contributor




      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.









      asked 14 mins ago









      AlterionXAlterionX

      1




      1




      New contributor




      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.





      New contributor





      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.






      AlterionX is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering.
      Check out our Code of Conduct.




















          0






          active

          oldest

          votes












          Your Answer






          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function ()
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function ()
          StackExchange.snippets.init();
          );
          );
          , "code-snippets");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "196"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: false,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: null,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );






          AlterionX is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fcodereview.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f217530%2five-got-enums-on-top-of-enums-and-then-some-more-traits-for-those-enums-it%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          0






          active

          oldest

          votes








          0






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes








          AlterionX is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.









          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          AlterionX is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.












          AlterionX is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.











          AlterionX is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.














          Thanks for contributing an answer to Code Review Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fcodereview.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f217530%2five-got-enums-on-top-of-enums-and-then-some-more-traits-for-those-enums-it%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          瀋陽號驅逐艦 目录 接收與服役 配置反潛直升機 武進三型性能升級 歷史 除役 參考資料 外部連結 导航菜单Taiwan Air Power海疆老兵-陽字號驅逐艦沿革World Navies Today: Taiwan (Republic of China)DD-839 USS POWER编

          波兰旗帜列表 目录 国旗 军旗 其他制服部门旗帜 特别国家机构船只 参考文献 外部链接 导航菜单Polskie flagi, chorągwie, bandery... [波兰旗帜、条幅、船旗等]原始内容Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowychZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 14 grudnia 2005 r. zmieniające zarządzenie w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejZarządzenie Ministra Obrony Narodowej z dnia 29 stycznia 1996 r. w sprawie szczegółowych zasad używania znaków Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz ustalenia innych znaków używanych w Siłach Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejUstawa z dnia 19 lutego 1993 r. o znakach Sił Zbrojnych Rzeczypospolitej PolskiejHistoria Marynarki Wojennej RP [波兰海军史]Rozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 12 kwietnia 2002 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych Straży GranicznejRozporządzenie Ministra Spraw Wewnętrznych i Administracji z dnia 18 kwietnia 2005 r. w sprawie wzoru flagi oraz oznakowania jednostek pływających i statków powietrznych PolicjiRozporządzenie Ministra Infrastruktury z dnia 21 października 2005 r. w sprawie wzorów flag dla statków morskich na oznaczenie pełnionej specjalnej służby państwowej oraz okoliczności i warunków ich podnoszenia波兰旗帜波兰编

          Indenting and Dedenting ASP code with Python